WATCHMohegan Sun Massachusetts Presentation to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission
Good Neighbor (3/6)
Regional Impact (4/6)
Employer of Choice (5/6)
About Mohegan Sun Massachusetts
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts is a $1.3 billion destination resort proposed for Revere, Massachusetts to be developed at the iconic and venerable Suffolk Downs, a fixture of the Massachusetts gaming industry for 78 years.
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will be a world-class destination resort casino that evokes the rich and deep history of Revere and Greater Boston. Central to this theme will be the waterfront and Revere's long history as a coastal community and hub of tourism, as well as the history and excitement of the adjacent Suffolk Downs racetrack.
The proposed project will feature over 170,000 square feet of floor space and 5,000 gaming positions, including 4,000 slot machines, 100 table games such as blackjack, baccarat, roulette and craps, and 20 poker tables. Hotel facilities include a main casino hotel and a boutique hotel that together total 500 rooms and reflect the breadth of the overall resort entertainment experience.
The landscape, site layout and architectural design of Mohegan Sun Massachusetts embrace the City of Revere, the city's seaside entertainment history, the natural environment and the resort's neighbors. Mohegan Sun Massachusetts' site design provide a gateway to the waterfront.
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts amenities include:
- A full-service resort casino with 4,000 slot machines, 100 table games and 20 poker tables on 170,000 square feet of gaming space
- A resort casino hotel and on-site boutique hotel combine for 500 rooms and suites, a gift shop, fitness center, business center, a hotel ballroom and meeting rooms
- The Shops at Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will feature world-class retail, casual and fine dining and entertainment options
- 10,000 square foot spa
- "Kids Quest" and "Cyber Quest"
- 5,000 square foot greenhouse
- Valet parking service and adequate structured and surface parking
- Built to LEED Gold standards
Community Agreements Highlight New Benefits for Revere
- Thousands of Quality Jobs. Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will create 2,500 construction jobs and 4,000 permanent jobs and has committed to hiring 75 percent of its workforce from within a 15-mile radius of Revere.
- Tens of Millions of Dollars in New Revenue for Revere and Surrounding Communities. In Revere alone this includes $33 million in pre-opening payments, $25 million annually guaranteed in the first three years, $28 million in years 4 to 6, and $40 million or more after that based on resort revenue. To date Mohegan Sun has entered into surrounding community agreements with 11 of the 12 designated surrounding communities including: Cambridge, Chelsea, Everett, Lynn, Malden, Medford, Melrose, Salem, Saugus, Somerville and Winthrop. These surrounding community agreements will provide upwards of $35 million in annual payments across these eleven towns and more than $37 million in upfront payments.
- Funds for Community Projects, Schools, and Road and Infrastructure Improvements. This includes $2 million for the renovation of the Harry Della Russo stadium, $1 million for the construction of a new youth center, $1 million annually for Revere schools, $2 million annually for police and fire, and more than $45 million for transportation and infrastructure improvements for local roadways and intersections.
- Opportunities for Tax Relief. With annual guaranteed minimum community impact payments escalating from $25 million in Year 1 of operations to $30 million in Year 7, the residents of Revere will have a real chance at tax relief.
- Support for Local Businesses. This includes $10 million a year in purchases from Revere businesses and hundreds of thousands of dollars annually dedicated to small business development.
Delivering the Most for Massachusetts
Mohegan Sun is one of the world's most successful gaming brands and the best choice for Eastern Massachusetts. Nobody knows more about how to entertain and excite Massachusetts patrons or how to generate maximum economic development for local communities than Mohegan Sun - an important difference we are proud of.
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will deliver the most for the region including:
A Formula for Success
Mohegan Sun has created a formula for success in Massachusetts, the foundation of which is built on our strong commitment to the Commonwealth and local communities. Our business model was aligns perfectly with the intent of the legislation - to serve as a sustainable revenue generator for the Commonwealth's economy, while also working collaboratively with local businesses to provide maximum economic development opportunities.
Thousands of Quality Careers
Mohegan Sun is committed to its employees - the core of our success. Currently, in Connecticut, Mohegan Sun is one of the five largest employers in the state, employing more than 8,400 people - 90 percent who live locally. We intend to bring that same tradition to Revere where this region will play an important role in providing the skilled workforce needed to run a Mohegan Sun casino in Massachusetts.
Already, Mohegan Sun has committed to hiring 75 percent of the expected 4,000 jobs the project will create all from communities located within a 15 mile radius of Revere.
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts is prepared to break ground immediately on the $1.3 billion dollar LEED Gold certified destination resort casino. Once construction has begun the project will instantly create 2,500 construction job opportunities for the residents of Revere and surrounding communities and has a 30-month timetable.
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts is already in the community getting resident job-ready for the thousands of careers that will be created by the destination resort. In addition to the dozen career forums held throughout the state, Mohegan Sun is collaborating with the Massachusetts Casino Career Training Institute and local Boston area community colleges including Bunker Hill, Roxbury and North Shore Community College to develop a workforce development plan that will meet the significant job-growth demand. Mohegan Sun will work closely to develop curriculum and worker-training programs in new labor markets such as table games, casino accounting and finance and materials management and purchasing.
Driving The State's Economy
Mohegan Sun is committed to buying locally, supporting the local and regional economy and creating jobs and new business opportunities outside our facilities. Our philosophy of buying local has translated into more than $500 million spent annually in goods and services from local vendors near our Connecticut and Pennsylvania resort casinos, a philosophy we intend to replicate here in Eastern Massachusetts. Mohegan Sun Massachusetts expects to spend about $50 million annually on goods and services from businesses located within a 15-mile radius of Revere once the resort is fully operating.
Earlier this year we launched an industry leading Momentum Partnership Points Program designed to enable customers to redeem their earned points at participating area businesses and destinations outside Mohegan Sun Massachusetts. With traditional industry points programs, such as those in Las Vegas, patrons are only able to redeem their points at businesses located within the resort casino.
From day one this program is expected to reach the 5.5 million existing momentum members and also generate about $50 million annually for local businesses. Already over 300 local businesses from across the region have registered for this partnership program representing industries such as, restaurant, retail, service-oriented firms and arts related organizations.
Commitment to Regional Tourism
Mohegan Sun will create a highly desirable destination experience for area residents, out-of-state guests and international visitors that will drive increased visitation and higher revenue for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will align a marketing approach with Greater Boston's other key visitor organizations and tourism assets to ensure that the existing reach of those organizations is expanded and deepened.
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will work directly with key regional stakeholders - including the Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau (GBCVB), Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (MCCA), Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism (MOTT) and MassPort - on an impactful collaborative marketing strategy to promote the city, the region and the state.
In addition, Mohegan Sun Massachusetts has a partnership with seven area performing arts venues that are members of the Massachusetts Performing Arts Coalition (MPAC). The Impacted Live Entertainment Venue agreement (ILEV) offers cross marketing opportunities, key protections and other benefits for seven nonprofit and municipally owned venues throughout Massachusetts.
The Greenest Casino
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will incorporate sustainability and environmental efficiency into all aspects of its design and operations. The LEED Gold resort will feature 5,000 square feet of greenhouse space to help supply a farm-to-table restaurant; a roof garden tying together a pool with the spa; landscaped courtyards and open space throughout; and a public plaza entrance at Winthrop and Washburn avenues as the main access point from the Beachmont MBTA station.
Other innovative aspects of the project that ensure maximum energy efficiency and sustainability include:
- Close access to public transportation unique in the industry
- Onsite bicycle accommodations, including a "Beach to Beach" bicycle connection planned for Easton Boston and Revere
- Electric vehicles for maintenance and security
- Electric vehicle charging stations for both staff and public use
- Preferential parking for low-emitting fuel-efficient vehicles
- Photovoltaic panels above surface parking areas to generate renewable energy on site
- Energy-efficient lighting and mechanical systems
- Energy-star rated equipment
- 1 MW gas-fired co-generation plant that enables Mohegan Sun Massachusetts to offset power grid demands
- Solid food waste recycling program
- High-efficiency HVAC equipment and recovery systems
- Innovative dual drainage system and water-conserving fixtures to target a 30 percent reduction in water consumption
A True Community Partner
Since 1996, Mohegan Sun has demonstrated its commitment to our host communities as evidenced by the thousands of dollars donated to local non-profits and charitable organizations. In addition, numerous good causes have benefited from both in-kind contributions as well as the many hours of volunteer services provided by members of our staff.
Since its entry to Massachusetts, Mohegan Sun has been an avid supporter of the non-profit community throughout the Commonwealth. Since 2009, Mohegan Sun has contributed more than $867,000 to Massachusetts entities, including more than $125,000 to the Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling. Mohegan Sun's landlord at Suffolk Downs has been equally philanthropic in Revere and the surrounding communities. Mohegan Sun Massachusetts intends to continue the track record of charitable giving, beginning with a commitment of $50,000 toward athletic programs in Revere and a similar pledge of $50,000 to continue the Citi Performing Arts Center's community outreach program.